Episode 1: Santa Claus, Part 1 — The Life and Legend of Saint Nicholas
We’re kicking off the 2016 season with a three-part series about how St. Nicholas became Santa Claus. Most of the episodes this season are for the whole family, but this series is for grownups only, for obvious reasons.
If you think you know St. Nicholas, you may be in for a few surprises when you hear this episode.
Did you know these things about St. Nicholas?
- Legend says he resurrected three boys who were butchered to death by an evil innkeeper
- He is said to have cold-cocked a fellow theologian during a heated debate
- He is the patron saint of pawnbrokers
You’ll hear that and much, much more in this episode. I’m joined by Bruce David Forbes, a professor of religious studies and the author of the wonderful book, Christmas: A Candid History.
Music in this episode
- Hammer and Damper — The Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- Red City Theme — The Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- I Am Running Down the Hallway of the Viewmont Elementary — Chris Zabriskie, via Free Music Archive
- Sunset — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
Subscribe, Rate, Review!
Never miss an episode. Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, or anywhere else you get podcasts. If you need suggestions or help with subscribing, check out the Subscribe page. And if you have a moment, please leave a rating. It helps spread the Christmas cheer to more listeners!