Episode 14: Department Store Santas
When the first department store Santa appeared in 1890, it wasn’t just a cross section of Christmas and commerce. It was also a major step in the evolution of Santa Claus.
Sadly, no photos exist of James Edgar dressed in his Santa Claus costume.
- First Department Store Santa: The Web site created by John Merian, who appears in this episode
- Eventually Supertrain: The Web site for Daniel Budnick, who shares a Christmas memory on the show
Music from this episode
- Thannoid — Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- Are We Loose Yet — Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- Heliotrope — Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- Wish Background — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
Subscribe, Rate, Review!
Never miss an episode. Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, or anywhere else you get podcasts. If you need suggestions or help with subscribing, check out the Subscribe page. And if you have a moment, please leave a rating. It helps spread the Christmas cheer to more listeners!