Backstory — Wrapping Paper
The appearance of festive gift wrap in stores is one of the first signs that the Christmas season is here. But wrapping Christmas gifts is a relatively new custom.
Tissue paper “gift dressings” had been around for a while. The captain of that industry was Dennison Manufacturing of Framingham, MA.
Dennison operated in Framingham for nearly a century. The company was acquired by Avery in the 1990s.
In this episode we hear from Pat Lavin, author of Welcome to Dennison Manufacturing Co.
- The Framingham History Center, which has an exhibit of Dennison’s history
- Omitted, the podcast hosted by Corey, who shares a Christmas memory in this episode
- More information about Welcome to Dennison Manufacturing Co., by Pat Lavin
Music in this episode
- Gentle Marimbas — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
- Lyric Pieces, Op. 12 – I. Arietta — Edvard Grieg, via Musopen
- Luminous Rain — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
- Mirabelle — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
Subscribe, Rate, Review!
Never miss an episode. Subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, or anywhere else you get podcasts. If you need suggestions or help with subscribing, check out the Subscribe page. And if you have a moment, please leave a rating. It helps spread the Christmas cheer to more listeners!